Friday, May 14, 2010

When cutting dog nails do I hold the nail clipper handle side up or down? Does it matter?

Sometimes the clipper just goes ';around'; the nail or doesn't work right.When cutting dog nails do I hold the nail clipper handle side up or down? Does it matter?
Usually there is a bend in the clippers that match the shape of the nails. Use that bend as your guide. I use the bend because I feel safest doing it that way but for my big dog's nails my fiance uses it sideways to get through the whole nail in one clip.When cutting dog nails do I hold the nail clipper handle side up or down? Does it matter?
The handle should be held up,but be very careful.I clipped my dogs nail and he pulled from me and I cut to far.He was bleeding alot.I had to go buy this powder that stopped the bleeding instantly.I won't be doing that anymore.
For a good lesson on clipping your pet's nails, visit your vet and ask the technician for a quick lesson. They will usually charge a few bucks to clip the nails, but they will probably be happy to show you the safest, most effective, and most comfortable way for both you and for your dog. Some pet supply stores offer clipping too, and may be able to advise you. (Really, I think a hands-on example would be your best bet in this case!)
Please, don't do this, cause if you cut a Nerve, your dog can bleed to death. Let your Vet. do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment