Friday, May 14, 2010

I want to know how often do you get your dog nails clipped and would I be cheaper buying a peticure.?

my dog is lab and shepard mixed and almost 6 months old.I want to know how often do you get your dog nails clipped and would I be cheaper buying a peticure.?
I do them every few weeks.





I wouldn't waste my money with the Peticure tool. It is just a normal dremel with a guard on it. You can go get an actual dremel tool at Target or Walmart for a lot cheaper.I want to know how often do you get your dog nails clipped and would I be cheaper buying a peticure.?
I recommend getting your dog nail ';grind'; instead of nail ';trim';, because it reduces the chance of cutting the dog's quick; which is very painful for them and then they might not want to ever get their nails done. Grinding it will also let their nails be smooth instead of sharp after its trimmed.





There are plenty of dremel you can order from $25-30 range and you should grind their nails every 2-3 weeks just to get your dog used to it.
Every couple of weeks - or whenever it sounds or looks like the nail is touching the floor. The nails should hover ABOVE the floor, but never touch.... or so my groomer says.





I use the Pedipaws (same as Peticure just different brand) and my dog seems to be fine with it (once i figured out how to get the fur away without taking too much time.) I personally find it much easier to use as you can use it more often than regular clippers (you can also round off jagged nails!)





But you HAVE to follow the instructions on how to get your dog used to it. You can't just jump right in and file away - filing is a new sensation for the dog and they need to get used to it slowly.
I clip my dog's nails about once every week and a half. It really just depends on how much time they spend outside running on a surface that helps keep them short. I wouldn't wait any longer than 2 weeks though.





I personally wouldn't pay a pet grooming place, as you need to get it done often and could cost a bit over time. Nail trimmers are usually only $5-10 at the local pet stores. Plus I find it's a good activity to spend time with your dog and a good bonding experience.





Once you've done it several times, your dog will get used to the procedure and could even enjoy it. Especially if they know they'll get a treat afterwards :)
Depending on the activity level of your dog and the rate at which the nail grows, I clip my dog's nails every week. I just do a little bit at a time since his nails are black and harder to see the quick. It is cheaper to do the clippings at home. You just need to purchase the trimmer or the tool of your choice. If you are unsure, have the vet or groomer show you once how to properly do it and with some practice, you will gain experience and confidence.
I use a nail grinder on my dog (oscar brand not peticure) and do his nails about once a week to keep from having to do a lot a once and just to smooth down any rough spots. Even if you only trim once a month at $10 a time a good nail grinder will pay for itself with in 6 months. A dremal or a professinal nail grinder will work just as well and likely be cheaper.
I have a lab also! Their nails get extremely long and fast! We are thinking about the same thing you are. And we've decided to buy a peticure because it wont hurt the dogs nerves in the nail. And even professionals can hurt your dogs nails. So the peticure is most deffinately better! And we clip our labs nails about every month or two months, depending on how long the nails are!
It depends if your dog walks on concrete on his walks. If he does than once a month. If he doesn't than twice a month.





You should just have someone do it for you because they cost $20 and you can hurt your dog if you cut too much in.
hi if you walk your dog for at least an hour a day you dont need to clip them as they wear down naturally and vets know when you dont walk your dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment