Thursday, January 21, 2010

How can I cut my cockatiel's nails?

They are sharp and its uncomfy to hold him. My daughter (2yrs) cannot hold him now as he leaves marks. I need to cut them but dont fancy dragging him just to the vets if I can do it myself. He is hand reared so should be handled often, but we cant at the moment because of his long nails!!How can I cut my cockatiel's nails?
Nail clipper or pet nail clipper.


In the nail you should be able to see a little pink line. Do NOT cut that, or else it'll bleed really bad. It'd be easiest to just cut the tips and do that until they're shorter. Long nails tend to have a longer pink line, and cutting just a little at a time will make it receed so it'd be easier to cut without hitting the pink line.


Also, they make perches that are like nail files, that help keep them short.


Or you could get a nail file and CAREFULLY file it to a softer point, remembering to avoid the pink line. :)How can I cut my cockatiel's nails?
Unless you feel confident to cut your birds claws ';Don't'; all birds claws are sharp!!





Cockatiels don't as a rule have long claws I have a one that is nearly 29,yrs. and have never had to cut it's claws.





Do you know of a breeder in your area as they will always help and may even do it for you ';If'; necessary,or even a pet shop.





You can if you feel confident but make sure that you only cut the tip of the claw off,depending on the length of the claws this should only be the very end of the claw which is the point or the sharp bit.you can use a pair of ordinary nail clippers to do this.





But like I say only if you are confident others have given you an idea of what is required,but I would visit a vet and they will tell you if they need cutting they may charge you and even show you how to do it.





But without confidence you could cripple your bird for life.





But it could be worth it in the long run,to visit a vet.
It's easy. Use your own nail clippers to cut them.





If you look carefully at the nails you will see the red veins running so far down them. cut them just short of the veins and all will be well. Don't cut across the veins.





PS. Have someone else hold him while you do it.





Good luck









Well I use a dremel tool. It causes no pain for the bird and you can't cut the nail to short. It sands it off. If you already have one then you just have to get the sanding attachment. There is also a product that you can buy the is called PEDIPAWS and it is only $20


https://www.tvproductscentral.com/pedipa鈥?/a>
Go here to learn more





http://thetrueparrot.homestead.com/howto鈥?/a>








http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/clip.h鈥?/a>
idk


i want to know 2 because i have one and he scratches me like CRAZY!


LOLZx


:]


%26lt;3
go to petsmart or drs. foster and smith and order nail clippers for bird or parrots

No comments:

Post a Comment