Monday, May 10, 2010

Why dont my dogs allow me to cut their nails????

Okay i dunno if this has anything to due with it but i think it does, both of my chihuahuas have black nails and once when i tried clipping they start to whine and cry. I dont know what to do now since their nails are HUGE AND LARGE and one of my dogs nail fell off the other day and i got freaked out. So what do i do?Why dont my dogs allow me to cut their nails????
Because your dogs have black nails, it's very hard to see the quick (the vein inside the nail) unless you know exactly what you are looking for, and even then sometimes it is hard.





Take your dogs to a vet or a groomer and have them to it. In the meantime, handle your dogs' feet a lot so they get used to it, as touching feet is not a natural thing for a dog and it makes them uncomfortable. If you are afraid to cut your dogs' nails. once your vet or groomer gets them trimmed back to a safe length you can also try filing them with a doggy nail file (They run about $5 to $8). Many dogs tolerate the file much better than they do the nail clippers. Also, do not be distressed if the groomer has to muzzle your dogs, as it's as much for the dog's safety as it is the groomer's. If your dog bites at the nail clippers, he could damage his teeth or cut his tongue.





The shorter you keep your dogs' nails, the more the quicks will recede, so the shorter you keep them the shorter you can make them.Why dont my dogs allow me to cut their nails????
Have the vet or groomer do it. I have cut my dogs nails since they were puppys so they don't mind!
take them to the vet and have the vet do it??!!
because it is very uncomfortable for them.
My dog bites and growls when I try to clip her nails. She hates it. She even hates it when I cut my toenails. I think it's the sound it makes that they do not like. I now bring my dog to Petsmart where they put a muzzle on her and clip them for me. I hate to see he in a muzzle but those neails need to be clipped.
my chi is the same way.. let me save you some major trouble and just advise you to get them professionally done. It cost me five bucks and it is worth every penny
You can always take them to your vet or a local dog groomer. My local groomer charges people 5 bucks per animal. I do all my own dogs ( I have 5, both big and small) but I started with them as soon as I got them. If you learn how to correctly, without cutting to close to the quick, the blood vessel in their nails, it should not hurt them.





If you start with your dogs when they are puppies, they should not have puppies, reward them afterwards and be prepared in case an accidental quick cutting happens. (steno pencils) If you get an adult dog, learn how to cut properly and have someone help you until your dog trusts you. In the case that you have a dog that must be muzzled to have it's nails cut, take them to the vet and have them do it.





Best of luck!
You can take it to the vet and they can trim the nails properly.
Dogs have a blood vessel in their nail called the quick. It hurts a dog when a nail is cut to close to this quick and it may even start bleeding, hence the reason for quick stop. Anyways, dogs can associate pain with getting their nails clipped especially when they have been clipped a little to closely in the past. I suggest that you have your dogs nails clipped by a groomer or a vet. They will know exactly what to do to calm your dog down so they can get his horribly long nails under control. Good Luck
well


one: you could be cutting to close to the actually paw they have a vein in the nail and if you cut on it or too close it will hurt.





two: there dogs





Three: there dogs
Maybe their afraid if it's going to hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment