Friday, January 15, 2010

I have a baby Chihuahua but am too scared to trim her nails. Now what?

We just got the Chihuahua a week ago - her name is Rosemarie and she is 2 months old! I'm scared that she's too young to get her nails clipped. I don't want to hurt her or make her bleed..but I only have the traditional nail clippers that I use. Is that alright? How do I get her to calm down?I have a baby Chihuahua but am too scared to trim her nails. Now what?
Groomer, vet, watch and learn !!!I have a baby Chihuahua but am too scared to trim her nails. Now what?
This is actually the best time to start doing this! If you start handling her paws and trimming her nails now, you'll have a much easier time doing so when she's bigger.





Do not get the guillitene clippers, they trim up and down, not side to side, which puts more pressure on the nail and can cause splintering of it. Using guillitene clippers on a dog is kinda like trimming your own nails side ways, instead of up and down. You want to trim them the narrowest direction, side to side.





IF she is small enough you can you fingernail or toenail clippers, it's fine, just remember to use them side to side.





when you clip them, look for the little vein that runs in her nail. Trim slightly below that. If her nails are black and you can't see the vein, just take off that last little curve.





Or you can take her to the groomers and pay $8-10 to have it done.





Myself, I take our mini dachshund to the groomer and have hers done with a dremel, as her nails are black, and I hate not knowing where the quick is. My male chi, I use my husband's toenail clippers on. And my female chi I use my fingernail clippers to do. I've been handling her feet the most since she was a pup, and I don't have to have anybody help me. she just sits there really sweet for her pedicure.





Goodluck!
Have someone teach you how to use a grinder and file her nails down. Get her used to it now and life will be much easier when she is older.
Get her used to you touching her paws whilst she is still young.Teach her to 'say please' (or whatever command you want to use such a 'shake') so she puts her paw on your hand. Because you are scared to clip her nails, take her to a grooming salon and ask them to show you how to do it. Try not to be scared when you attempt it yourself because your dog can feel your tense energy and will be scared.





Good Luck!
You may want a vet to do this.


Yes she is old enough to have her nails trimmed I start at 3-4 weeks old.


chihuahuas hate having it done and so many will sound like you are killing them but it's a chihuahua.


It is usually easiest with chis to have help one hold and the other cut.


Traditional nail clipper are fineif you can get her calm I buy the cat nail clippers the ones like scissors not the ones you try to put the nail into.


Good Luck
a dog can bleed if they are 2 months old or 20....if you don't feel confident in cutting the nails.....please take her to the groomer....even the vet and have her nails trimmed.....





they are trained to do this........





I cut the quick on my female bulldog, I cried ! My male has black nails so I cannot see his quick at all...





so, for 16 dollars for 2 dogs, I get someone ELSE to cut their nails...........good price for my peace of mind
No - use proper ';guillotine'; type clippers or get them clipped by a groomer





What IDIOT gave the thumbs down - I have a dog grooming shop %26amp; I KNOW about clipping dogs nails
I agree that the sooner you start trimming, the better. It gets them used to someone handling their toes and feet and the feel of the clippers early on. On my chihuahua puppies, up until their nails and toes are closer to the size of an adult's, I use regular nail clippers. The ';guillotine'; style just feels too big and awkward for such a small job. Plus, with regular clippers it's easier to only clip off the tip where it's beginning to curl. With the puppies I've raised, I only took off enough of the toenail to keep them from getting caught on blankets and bedding and to keep them from hurting themselves. If you genuinely don't feel comfortable doing it, a groomer or vet can do it or show you how.
Do a search on youtube for a great video called





Tucker's nail trim (I think) it's produced by Canines in Action. It's a great example of how to teach a dog to accept handling. You should be getting the dog used to you holding and touching her paws long before you take a clipper to them





www.fearfuldogs.com
take her to get em clipped or buy the doggie clippers at a petstore... if her nails are white you can clip the white part but not where it gets pink! i had a chihuahua that absolutely hated his nails clipped and they do a great job at a groomer it should be fairly cheap too

No comments:

Post a Comment