Friday, January 15, 2010

I constantly pick at my nails. What can I do to help me stop?

Because of my OCD I find that I am constantly picking at my nails. It drives me and everyone around me insane. What can I do to stop?


Please don't be rude


I appreciate your input!I constantly pick at my nails. What can I do to help me stop?
carry a nail file... i know the reason why i pick my nails it is because there is an uneven piece...so i pick at it to make it better... it just makes it worse so instead why not really fix it wil a nail file??? if you are like me you want your nails straight, even and smooth...just carry a nail fileI constantly pick at my nails. What can I do to help me stop?
hold ur guys hand
im not a total authority on issues but to the best of my schooling ( i have a masters in psych) and judging from the fact that u mention u have ocd, it seems a-typical that you would do something like that. However, it is far from an over the top compulsion. when i was younger i used to have a mild case of what they now call ocd . i frequented two things.,,,one being exactly what you do, constant attention to my nails... The other being placing a cup perfectly down after drinking from it. Regardless, what you should aim at doing is focussing your attn away from the nails by whenever you notice your doin it..immediately tell yourself inside your head im goin to stop this...then perform an action, any action from gettin up to the fridge, to smacking your hand, to drinkin some water.....point is do something. This willeventually trigger ur cerebral cortex into realizing that what you are obbsessing over is replaceable thru deferrence. Try it. it will work. good luck.
When I was a kid, I used to do that...until my mom put chili in my fingers... It was so spicy that I had to stop doing it.





You can try something similar...the problems are (1) you might end up enjoying the spicy taste and (2) you need to be consistent





On the other hand, you can try some other awful - but safe - tasting substances...I don't know which one
YOU could focus on painting them and playing with somthing like putty to destract yourself......
Hold something in one of your hands at all time, a ball, hacky sack, whatever is around.

No comments:

Post a Comment